so here we go. this is going to be pretty wordy because i'm going to try and cover all my thoughts on the hunger games. so if you haven't seen it, don't read beyond this paragraph in case i give away plot spoilers for those that haven't read the book.
as i've had a few days to collect my thoughts about the movie, i still stand by my first impression that it was great and i am a huge fan. but as i'm thinking about what i'm going to write in the post, it may come off as if i wasn't a fan. i want to clarify that overall i loved the movie. i have yet to see a movie that is better than its book version, so with that said, the movie did about as good as it could.
the main thing that you have to understand with this book turned movie is that the book goes into so much detail on so many different things that it was impossible for the movie to cover everything without being 17 hours long. i did feel like it seemed rushed, but i think i felt that way because going in i was curious how they were going to tackle all the different aspects of the book. the movie does leave out a lot of detail, but gives a good general overview of the book.
i almost feel like i would have enjoyed the movie more had i not read the book (i know, weird. so tell your friends who haven't read the book to see the movie). i sort of felt like i wasn't really enjoying the movie as i would if i hadn't read the book because i just wanted to see how the movie was going to tackle the next scene that i knew was coming, and as a result i didn't fully appreciate what was happening on screen. i do want to see the movie again, which i believe will allow me to fully enjoy its greatness and soak up all it has to offer.
here is a quick wrap up on my thoughts on the casting for the main characters:
1. jennifer lawrence as katniss was perfect. the only thing i'm concerned about is the later movies. she's very mature looking for 21 and in the movie she is playing a teenager. obviously with all the crazy success of the first movie, they're not wasting anytime starting to film the next two, which is good cause girlfriend is a hottie with a body and will have a hard time passing as a teenager in a few years. anywho, i thought she was beautiful, tough, and mesmerizing as katniss.
2. liam hemsworth as gale was yummy. since i'm team gale i was disappointed with how small his role was in the movie. i realize that it will be bigger in the next two movies, but i thought he was lacking screen time. the relationship between katniss and gale was not shown at all in the movie, which i think will be interesting how their connection is explained in the later movies.
3. josh hutcherson as peeta was eh. now to be fair, i was not a fan of this casting before the movie came out. josh doesn't do it for me. he sort of looks like a cave man in my mind. and next to miss katniss i just didn't see the chemistry between the two. in the movie they make them appear to be the same height but in reality jennifer lawrence is a lot bigger than him and i know that, so i had a hard time seeing the two of them share kisses when i think peeta looks more like katniss' brother (the 13 year old girls who sat around me would completely disagree with this because i'm pretty sure they all got mini lady boners every time peeta was on the screen).
4. elizabeth banks as effie trinkett was perfect. her wardrobe and makeup were phenomenal and exactly as i pictured while reading the book. i wished they gave effie more screen time especially since elizabeth did such a great job becoming the character. effie and haymitch's interactions were my favorite unexpected dynamic between main characters. i'm excited to see where her character goes in the next two movies.
5. woody harrelson as haymitch was superb. i did picture haymitch as a little more gruff and mean while reading the book, but woody can do no wrong.
6. lenny kravitz as cinna was awesome because lenny kravitz is awesome. his gold eye liner was also so cool and lenny totally pulled it off. i did sort of feel like i couldn't take lenny serious during the heart wrenching scenes with him and katniss. i was waiting for him to say something serious and then all of sudden say, "ah just kidding, i'm lenny kravitz." oh lenny, you're just so cool all the time.
this post is getting super lengthy so here are just a few more snippets of my thoughts:
- district 12 looked appropriately desolate and trixie from deadwood (awesome hbo show, check it out if you've never seen it) as the mom was great casting.
- the reaping was amazing. and when i say amazing, i mean i almost cried.
- katniss and peeta's outfits when they were in training at the capitol were some weird asian fusion pajamas that were just odd
- seneca crane was the right amount of creepy and yet i still wanted to know what he was going to do next
- president snow was so evil and i loved how often he was seen pruning his white roses
- cato's facial features were so close together and he was so muscular yet somehow still looked like a 7 year old
- for some reason when reading the book, i pictured tracker jackers as gigantic, so the fact they were normal sized bees in the movie didn't feel right to me
- the rue death scene was heartbreaking. i had to wipe my eyes after that one.
- i didn't think that the movie explained enough about the way katniss was faking the relationship with peeta to get sponsors. i think this might be a slight problem during the next movie for people who haven't read the books
- the fight scenes during the games were all amazing. other reviews i've read have criticized how shaky the camera is, but i think it added to the effect and made it seem like you were there trying to fight for survival with the tributes
- when the movie ended, i literally wanted to start watching the second one immediately, which is exactly what happened when i read the book, so job well done.
the second movie doesn't come out until november 2013. so. far. away.